Marquette Transportation Company
Ray Eckstein founded what is now the River Division of Marquette Transportation Company, LLC in 1978. Throughout the years we joined forces with two other family-owned businesses, Eckstein Marine Services and HLC Tugs, to add our Gulf-Inland and Offshore divisions, respectively. Each of our divisions has grown over the years, surviving grain embargoes, fluctuating fuel costs, and other challenges that led us to adapt, innovate, and prosper.
Marquette has three operations, with a strategic mix of vessels powered with the latest marine technology and equipment to ensure safe, reliable, on-time service. Founded in 1978, our River unit now offers a fleet of more than 50 line haul vessels and 800+ dry cargo barges. In 2007, we added our Gulf-Inland unit (formerly Eckstein Marine) and our Offshore unit (formerly HLC Tugs) to create a seamless transportation experience for our customers.
VP of Engineering
Position: Full-time Salaried/Exempt
Reports to: SRVP of Engineering
Location: Paducah, KY
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance and repair of 55+ river vessels, resulting in safe and reliable equipment, that meets both internal expectations and customer demands.
- Manage all major repairs, dry-dockings, and all associated costs.
- Responsible for all shore side engineering support to fleet (mechanical, electrical, HVAC, general repairs, and technical support).
- Proactively identify specific machinery and equipment for replacement at max useful life to eliminate unnecessary breakdowns, failures.
- Manage maintenance and repair (OPEX and CAPEX) budgets and projections associated with the river vessel fleet.
- Travel as needed to vessels and shipyards in performance of duties, and to learn and understand the overall technical aspect of each vessel (to include out-of-town travel).
- Research cutting edge, innovative products that add value to the fleet (separator systems, propulsion systems, hybrid electric, etc.).
- Work closely with VP of Vessel Operations and VP Corporate Compliance and Regulatory Affairs on various Subchapter M requirements and USCG regulations.
- Communicate and coordinate all repair and maintenance plans with other departments.
- Develop technical specifications for vessel maintenance, repair, and improvements.
- Incorporate weekly/monthly strategic planning sessions with Gulf-Inland and Offshore divisions that create platform level business opportunities.
- Coach and develop vessel Chief Engineers to improve their skills and support their professional growth and development.
- 90+ indirect reports primarily consisting of vessel Chief Engineers and ~ 9 direct reports, mostly consisting of Port Engineers.
- Cost containment, scheduling, and inventory control.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business related field preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of related work and supervisory experience required.
- Good working knowledge of marine mechanical and electrical systems.
- Proficient computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office).
- Self-starter and team player who supports a safety-first environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Change leadership and team building skills.
- Process management and the ability to implement sustainable, end-to-end processes.
- Strong analysis and metrics competencies.
- Maintain compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Job added by Marquette Transportation Company